The Home Club
The Home Club was founded at the end of 2019 and our story begins when Jerry Pfletschinger visited a friend studying at the University of Surrey. Jerry fell in love with Guildford and decided to study there too. After graduating, Jerry’s job took him all over the world although he continued to invest in property in Guildford. As his father was diagnosed with a terminal illness, he decided to leave his career in investment banking and spend more time with his family. This led him to self-manage his properties, which in turn allowed him to get to know and look after his tenants more closely. In doing so, he realised that his tenants had been through various frustrating or disappointing experiences, often caused by a lack of communication or transparency.
Throughout the years Jerry kept crossing paths with James Hay. James was a local agent, managing a six-branch agency. They hit it off and it was through this friendship that both felt that there was an opportunity to create a lettings agency that prioritised the customer experience - The Home Club was born.
James’s experience in property and his incredible local area knowledge gives The Home Club solid foundations from which to grow. Having started his career in estate agency as a teenager, he has worked with developers on the sale and lettings of multi-site new homes and has sold and let everything from small apartments to multi-million-pound homes. Jerry’s commercial experience and sound financial grounding ensures The Home Club balances financial stability with bold forward thinking.
The Home Club emphasises the importance of helping tenants find a home. We know satisfied tenants are easier to look after and more likely to stay for longer, making for happier landlords.
As a business founded on the idea of providing the best possible customer experience for everyone, we ensure everything we do reinforces our key values of:
- Customer centricity
Always clients first
- A positive client experience is at the very centre of The Home Club’s ethos, regardless of whether that client is a landlord or tenant.
- We treat others as we would want to be treated ourselves.
Transparent in everything we do
- Because we started from scratch, we were lucky enough to avoid the baggage involved in extending or relaunching a business. This meant we could design systems that worked for us – not the other way round.
- We have chosen to be completely cloud-based whilst still having our office off Guildford’s historic high-street. As well as making us more efficient and secure, it allows us greater flexibility and mobility. It also means we can collaborate with others more easily – whether that is a landlord, tenant or any number of our 3rd parties that support the business process.
- We give our landlords direct access to their Rightmove Data to offer as much transparency as possible, at every step of their property marketing journey.
- Our online client hub is a secure and transparent way of storing all key tenancy information and documents in one place.
- Landlords can use it to track their accounts and any maintenance issues.
- Tenants can report maintenance issues, using pictures to make things quicker and easier.
Diverse in people and thinking
- Our team is multidisciplinary and rich in diverse experiences. We have purposefully recruited people from different industries as well as those with experience in property. In addition to Jerry’s experience in investment banking, we have an employee who has worked in luxury goods marketing at Rolls Royce, those who have previously run their own businesses and an employee with a solid background in customer service.
- By having a diverse team, we are better able to meet a full range of customers’ needs. It also means we can adapt to be more approachable to the different types of customers we serve. For example, the sober, numerically minded multi-landlord needs a very different approach to an artistic one-off accidental landlord.
Despite being less than three years old, we continue to expand strongly. The Home Club now has six team members and a spacious office with an informal atmosphere that’s welcoming to all. As well as an open-plan office space, we have an individual client room for more sensitive matters, underlining our focus on the customer experience.
During our first 12 months we let more properties in Q1 2020 than any other agent in Guildford. In our second year, we received several national award nominations and secured wins for:
- Best Lettings Agency Surrey
- Best Real Estate Agency Website UK
- Best Estate Agent Guide Awards
- New Agency of the Year UK - The Negotiator Awards (Bronze).
The Home Club aims to innovate how our industry interacts with people.
This is not limited to transactional customer relationships, but also the community within which we operate. Here are some examples:
- We were the first agency in Guildford to offer online viewings during the pandemic.
- We have a tailored, dedicated client hub, demonstrating our commitment to put customers first. This 24-hour online client hub can be accessed anywhere by landlords and tenants to review rent payments and maintenance requirements. This is especially helpful for portfolio landlords with properties alongside their other interests.
- Our online magazine is a community resource and creates a stronger relationship with our clients beyond the transaction of letting or renting a property. Although it is an intangible investment it provides a useful resource for our clients.
- We take pride in being part of the local community and support local events – such as Guildford’s ‘Car Free Day’. We created a Live Canvas and collaborated with local artist Nathalie Scott to create an installation for Guildford, by the people of Guildford. Nathalie created an artistic representation of the town, including prominent buildings and features on a large white canvas. We then encouraged passing locals to add their creative flair and artistic interpretation to the canvas. The finished piece was displayed in a local art gallery, Customers.